This is an old school style satay (a non nut version)
Prep time 10 mins
Marinade time 2-24 hours (10 mins will still work)
Cooking time 12 mins
Serves 2 people
Keeps in the fridge for up to 4-5 days or can be frozen for up to 1 month
1 pack of plain tofu 285gm (We love Tofoo available in most supermarkets)
3 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp honey or agave or brown sugar
2 crushed garlic cloves
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp caraway seeds)
1/2 tsp chilli powder
2-3 Tbsp olive oil or coconut oil (liquid form) Keep on for frying.
Salt and pepper.
Vegetables any of your choice, but we recommend
Chop – Tender stem broccoli, spring onions, mushrooms, spinach, aubergine (if using aubergine marinade with the tofu)
Serve with brown rice, quinoa, cauli rice, buckwheat noodles, Puy lentils
1. Mix all the ingredients together to make the marinade and add the tofu in this mix as long as possible, we recommend 2-3 hours or even better overnight but if you don’t have time just give it 5-10 mins and use more soy sauce when dressing afterwards.
2. Cook side of your choice according to instructions on pack
3. Heat a Tbsp of oil in a frying pan, turn the heat up high add chopped spring onions, then broccoli and mushrooms and stir fry for 3-5 mins until cooked then remove from pan and place in a bowl.
4. In the same pan on a high heat and add the tofu (and aubergine if using) to the pan and cook for about 5mins turning constantly.
5. Add all the veg back into the pan turn the heat down to medium and heat through for about 1-2mins.
6. Serve with side of your choice or on its own. Season with salt and pepper.