Easy GuacamoleAugust 10, 2020
Tofu SatayAugust 10, 2020
Prep time 10 mins
Cooking time 20 mins
Serves 4 people
Keeps in the fridge for up to 4-5 days or can be frozen for up to 1 month
Jackfruit is grown in South East Asia and is available in cans from most supermarkets. Just make sure you buy it in water or brine and NOT in syrup.
2 x 560gm Cans of jackfruit in water
1 large Onion
4 cloves of garlic minced or 4 tsp of garlic granules
2 Tbsp coconut or olive oil
1-2 Tbsp of brown sugar
1 Tbsp ground smoked paprika
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1-2 Tbsp chili powder
1 pinch of chipotle flakes
½ a lime – juiced
½ cup of veg broth or water
Dash of your fav hot sauce
For the tacos
8-10 soft white corn tacos or hard taco shells
1 Avocado sliced
½ a red onion thinly sliced
Large bunch of Coriander
1-2 Limes cut into wedges
Dairy free sour cream
1 small tub of dairy free yogurt – we recommend coconut yogurt
Juice of ½ a lemon
1 large carrot organic if possible
- Drain the jackfruit and cut into thin slices from the core to the outer edges. The core is slightly tougher in texture but is completely edible as are the seeds. Slicing thinly will help the jackfruit breakdown more easily and give that ‘pulled’ effect.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan to a medium heat then add the onions and garlic and cook for about 5mins until the onions soften and start brown.
- Add the jackfruit, sugar, and all the spices, cook for 1-2mins then add the veg broth and lime juice.
- Cover pan if possible and turn the heat down to simmer for about 5min until about ½ the liquid has been absorbed
- For best results use a potato masher to break down the jackfruit to give it that ‘pulled’ texture, if it is still a little wet cook for a bit longer if its too dry add a splash of water.
- Mix the juice of half a lemon with the small tub of dairy free yogurt
- Grate Carrot using a cheese grater.
- Heat the tacos on a dry frying pan or according to the instructions on the packet. Add a scoop of jackfruit, top with avocado or guacamole, some slices of red onion, grated carrot, coriander and a squeeze of lime juice, non-dairy sour cream and a dash of your fav hot sauce.